November 4, 2015

him & her VII: happy camper

H E R

Let's talk camping. Growing up I was a big fan of Girl's Camp. Ya know that thing that every 12 - 17 year old Young Women dreads? I loved wearing french braids, eating s'mores, singing camp songs, and sleeping in a cabin with all of my friends. Now I am 21 years old and I still like most of these things. (I can live without the camp songs) But I think I had a skewed view of what camping was really like, a cushioned version if you will.

This past spring semester the weather was prime. We got a lot of camping gear from our wedding and wanted to try it out. I was a little nervous to sleep in a tent and pee outside for the first time. I quickly found out that I like the idea of camping more than actually doing it.

It is so fun to hang out with friends around a fire, roasting hot dogs and exchanging embarrassing stories that you can only reveal whilst camping. But if I could describe the act of camping in one word it would be "dirty". Everything gets dirty and you can't clean it until you get home. Maybe it's just the OCD talking, but I am not a fan. I also think the reason I loved Girl's Camp so much was because I slept in a bed. I don't care how much an air mattress looks like a bed, it's not.

So I am sad to admit that I am not a happy camper.


H I M

Camping was something we loved to do as a family growing up. I remember many camping trips with family and friends. One time we had a bear come into our camp and we had to pack up in the middle of the night and drive away because it was getting crazy. Of course my dad had left fish in the dumpster, so the bear was excited. I remember going on backpacking trips for scouts, high adventures and more.

Growing up as a family that camped has helped me to appreciate the outdoors. So many good memories can be remembered from this camping trips and as I have lived in Idaho, my love for the outdoors has increased. Being able to camp in one of the most beautiful regions of the US is amazing. We are so close to Yellowstone and Teton National Park. My love for camping has definitely increased.

I wouldn't say I am an extreme outdoor enthusiast. I won't go camp and live out of a backpack for a week. I like to bring the gas stove, cook some pancakes for breakfast and relax in a camp chair. You probably won't find me on a 20 mile backpacking trip but you will find me planning a fun weekend with my wife and friends in the mountains. I am hoping that even though Hannah doesn't find camping luxurious that she will still enjoy it with me.











No comments :

Post a Comment