October 28, 2015

him & her V: halloween

H E R 

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays growing up.
When I was little it was so fun to wear a princess costume and get a bunch of free candy. When I was a teenager it was exciting to watch scary movies and go to haunted houses. And now that I am in college and married I still love this holiday and all the activities that come along with it.

I know some people think halloween is too scary or too tacky, but I think it is just fun. I love how people get into the spirit of the season. There is a lot of pressure, however, to have the BEST night ever, because it is Halloween. Welcome to FOMO. Since it's the only fun holiday for months, it feels like you have to go to a crazy party and wear an incredibly elaborate costume to make Halloween "count". But hanging out in your apartment with a bowl of candy corn and Hocus Pocus can actually be perfect.


Here's a list of things to do instead of getting pushed around in a mosh pit of a Halloween party:

1. Go to a Haunted Place. Read this: Everything Haunted
2. Make a ton of spooky treats. Get a head start on Thanksgiving and stuff your face with treats.
3. Visit the pumpkin patch. Head over to the U-Pick Barn in Idaho Falls and maybe even pick up a pumpkin to carve.
4. Have a bonfire with your friends. Try your best not to laugh when people try to tell you their "scary" stories.
5. Stay in with a bag of candy and a horror movie. Maybe your version of a scary movie is Halloweentown or you're more hardcore and want to watch Silence of the Lambs.
6. Find the closest thing you have to children and take them trick-or-treating. Grab some random kids from your neighborhood and head out.
7. Throw a Halloween party with your friends. Just an excuse to make all the pinterest halloween treats you want, dress up like you're kids, and have a non-sweaty non-crowded dance party.



H I M

Halloween has always been a fun holiday for me. Growing up my mom would always make our Halloween costumes, no matter how difficult. If I can remember correctly, she made us kids a baseball and tennis ball outfit (we were actually a baseball and tennis ball). She made me a jester outfit, many clown outfits, and I think for my sister a chocolate kiss outfit. You could always count on my mom to make the best costume and save some money while doing it. As I got older Halloween was still fun but it had changed. We still dressed up and messed around but its just not the same as being a kid.

At college Halloween is pretty fun too. People get pretty into it. One year my roommates and I were Aliens and we painted our whole bodies green. Another year we were all different Star Wars Characters and another year we all had the bright idea to buy Power Ranger Morph Suits...best $80 I have ever spent. Now that I am married, we do couples costumes. Last year we were robbers and this year we were Grandpa and Grandma Spear. It is pretty fun to let loose a little. I am all about having fun and enjoying the holidays with friends and family. You are never too old to celebrate Halloween.










2 comments :

  1. Hannah, I just learned what FOMO is. Had to Google it. Wow, I feel so out of the loop...I think we need to talk more often so I don't feel so old. Curtis, every Halloween I think about that Hershey's Kiss costume Mom made me. Best costume ever. Love you both and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha Larissa! I love that picture of you, Braden, and Curtis at Halloween! We are so excited for Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete